Officer Garwood dies at age 31, October 1937

My friend for many years was Saranac Lake Police Officer Donn Garwood and I never knew that his father had served with the local police department.

Donn and his wife Lorraine (Waterson) Garwood and children were our neighbors on Petrova Avenue. Donn had a particular method of twirling his nightstick as he walked his downtown beat … a big guy and a master carpenter who later taught classes at BOCES.

I first met Lorraine when she was friends of my sisters, Rita Littlefield and Marguerite Ellithorpe. She was so much fun to be around. She had an infectious laugh that made everyone laugh.

Mysterious disease

kills Officer Garwood

(Enterprise excerpts from

his obituary)

“Funeral of Patrolman Everett C. Garwood, 31, member of the Saranac Lake Police Department who died late Sunday night, will be held at 171 Lake Street at 2 p.m. Wednesday. Garwood’s six brother officers, Sgt. Edmund Duprey, Patrolmen Hugh Tyler, Arthur Ryan, Norbert Higgins, Bernard Brown and Matt Jones will be bearers. Police Chief James Coughlin will be unable to attend the funeral because of a death in his own family.

“Garwood succumbed to a mysterious malady that first attacked him in the form of a throat irritation. It spread rapidly through his system and several blood transfusions were given to halt the progress of the disease. His wife was at his bedside when death came at 11:30 p.m.

“Born in Saranac Lake on November 4, 1906. His was the son of the late George and Alice Garwood. He received his education in the schools of this village and Tarrytown. He graduated from the Tarrytown High School.

He was President of the New York State Patrolman’s Association and that Association held its convention in Saranac Lake last summer. He was also President of the local chapter of that Association.

“Garwood married Miss Grayce Kerr, who with one son, Donald, 8, survive him. Their home is at 20 Baker Street. He is also survived by a brother Arthur C. Garwood and an aunt, Ms. K. P. Potter.”

A few of officer Garwood’s last calls

(SLPD blotter — Entries by Garwood in August 1937)

“Complaint from Mrs. Albert Brown of Lake Flower Avenue about noise at Moody’s. Moody’s were building a rack on a truck and it had to be done tonight. Said they would move up to Abe Moody’s to finish it.”

“Call from Alpine Tavern. Investigated by Ryan & Garwood, Locked up Ray Marshall of Lyon Mountain for P.I.”

“Call that there had been an accident near 304 Broadway. Investigated by Brown and Garwood. Hydrant broken and telephone pole knocked down. Informed that car had continued on toward Peck’s Corners [Lake Colby]. Found Chevrolet Coupe with the front end smashed. Brought Thomas Allen Vensel to Police Station. Charged him with leaving the scene of an accident.”

“Complaint received from Charles Burgess, 63 Main Street that an apartment owned by his mother at 2 Broadway is being used by someone. They cleaned it all up about a week ago to try and rent it and he went up today and found beer bottles all over the floor, also cigarette butts. The apartment is right behind Dr. O’Neil’s office. I went up there but there was no one there but found a letter addressed to Dr. O’Neil on the table and empty beer cans and whiskey bottles all over.”

“The following boys were brought to the police station by Bill, Paul and Dick Duprey: John Kissick, 17; Domonic Carcione, 18; John Pitt, 18; Sam Alamo, 17; Peter Fontoric, 22 and Tony Violas, 19 of Barnum Pond CCC [Civilian Conservation Corps] Camp. Bill complained of them following and bothering his sisters. Didn’t want to press any charges. Wanted them talked to. Gave them a sermon and let them go.”

“Request from a Delbert LaBelle of Malone to get in touch with Charles Monica at 1 Garden Street and tell him that his mother was dying. Did so.”

“Complaint about noise at 28 Olive St. Radios playing very loud. Told them to turn them down.”

“Call for an officer at Fran Walsemann’s, 119 Broadway. Found that a man had been in the store while Mrs. Walsemann’s husband was out and said that he had five bundles of napkins they had ordered. She gave him a check for $5.00. When her husband got back she told him and he said he didn’t order any napkins. This fellow tried to pull the same stunt at the Rathskeller [later Dew Drop’s] and they told him to get to hell out .Couldn’t get a definite description of the fellow.”