Smoldering A/C unit contained at Saranac Lake hospital

Fire driver Charlie Duprey stands beside a truck as the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department responds to smoke coming from an overheating air conditioning unit inside Adirondack Medical Center early Wednesday afternoon.
(Enterprise photo — Antonio Olivero)

Fire driver Charlie Duprey stands beside a truck as the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department responds to smoke coming from an overheating air conditioning unit inside Adirondack Medical Center early Wednesday afternoon. (Enterprise photo — Antonio Olivero)

SARANAC LAKE — Smoke from a malfunctioning air conditioning unit was contained and ejected from an office at Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake early Wednesday afternoon.

There were neither open flames nor injuries. Fire Chief Brendan Keough said the source of the smoke was an overheating air conditioning unit melting wires.

Keough added that firefighters did not need to extinguish anything as smoke ejectors were used to clear the third-floor office space. The smoldering was contained to the air conditioning unit.

The fire chief said the office where the smoke built up was on the administrative side of the hospital, in the Colby Wing in an office facing away from Lake Colby.

“It wasn’t in the patient area at all,” Keough said.

Two trucks and about a half-dozen firefighters reported to the scene after two alarms were called in regarding the potential of a fire at the hospital. Firefighters were back in service at approximately 1:50 p.m.

“A big thank you to members of the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department for their quick response,” Adirondack Health Communications Coordinator Jess Collier said. “We’re glad that the electrical malfunction was contained quickly and that no damage was done.”

COMMENTS