AuSable fast-pitch tourney canceled
AuSABLE FORKS — Tournament officials and the board of directors for the internationally known 58th Annual Au Sable Forks Fast-Pitch Softball Tournament scheduled for July 10-12 has been reluctantly canceled. Tournament spokesperson Randy Douglas said the tournament committee made the decision last week and that all the teams that planned on attending have been notified.
Tournament Director Adam Coolidge, now in his third year at the helm said “With the uncertainty of how we could possibly pull off a safe environment for the players, fans, umpires and all of Au Sable Forks and surrounding communities in these difficult times led to our decision.”
Douglas, a former Town of Jay Supervisor who now works in Governor Cuomo’s administration stated that “This is a huge blow to the North Country economy and especially for our Au Sable Forks businesses.
“This tournament brings yearly some of the best fast-pitch players in the world including from many parts of Canada, New Zealand and Australia, along with many players from all over the United States,” Douglas said “These players and fans plan their vacations around this ISC qualifier and consider the atmosphere a classic festival. The financial impact will be felt by local businesses from Plattsburgh to Lake Placid who usually rely on this weekend for huge profits.”
Coolidge announced that the dates for next year’s tournament are July 9-11, 2021.
Tournament officials had planned on honoring long time Tournament Director Tom O’Neill, who passed away May 21, with a moment of silence at this year’s event. Unfortunately that will now take place at next year’s tournament.
“We are extremely sorry to the thousands of North Country fans who just love this event, but we know we made the right decision for public safety,” Coolidge said.