Postcard with an aerial view of Saranac Inn, likely in the 1950s. Saranac Inn, originally Hough’s, and then Prospect House, was a luxury hotel on Upper Saranac Lake. In 1886, President Grover Cleveland and his wife, Frances, honeymooned at Saranac Inn. It originally housed just 15 guests, but grew over time to include an 18-hole golf course, hydroelectric generator, and a steamboat, and could accommodate 700 guests at its peak! The property changed hands many times over the years, and experienced a downturn in the 1950s. It closed in 1962, and the main hotel building burned down in 1978.
(Courtesy of Rich and Diane Loeber)