Red Cross volunteers aid family after Friday Keese Mills Road fire

PAUL SMITHS — Volunteers from the Northeastern New York Chapter of the American Red Cross provided immediate emergency aid to five people after a fire Friday on Keese Mills Road in Paul Smiths.

The Red Cross provided financial assistance for necessities such as shelter, food and clothing to four adults and a 15-year-old. Volunteers also offered emotional support and comfort kits containing personal care items, as well as blankets. In the coming days, Red Cross staff and volunteers will remain available to help those affected by the fire as they navigate the road to recovery.

The Paul Smiths-Gabriels Volunteer Fire Department responded to a reported smoke condition on Keese Mills Road at 11:32 a.m. Friday with five trucks and 23 members. Following an investigation, firefighters concluded the smoke was due to a furnace malfunction. Firefighters used about 15 gallons of water to cool the embers in the vent pipe and then checked the walls for an extension of the blaze. The department was back in service at 1:43 p.m. They received mutual aid from the Bloomingdale Volunteer Fire Department, the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department, the Saranac Lake Volunteer Rescue Squad and Franklin County Emergency Services.

The Red Cross relies on local donors to help families prepare, respond and recover from disasters in central and northern New York. Visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS to donate to Disaster Relief and help people affected by disasters.

Those interested can also help by volunteering with the Red Cross and responding to fires and other disasters. View volunteer opportunities at redcross.org/volunteer.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today