×

Tupper Lake home incinerated

Home was not occupied, no one was injured

A mobile home at 435 Hosley Ave. is seen engulfed in flames in Tupper Lake on Monday night. (Provided photo)

TUPPER LAKE — A double-wide mobile home went up in flames in Tupper Lake on Tuesday night in a blaze that local firefighters said incinerated the home before they arrived on the scene. No one was harmed in the fire, according to Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department Fire Apparatus Driver Mark Picerno.

TLVFD responded to a call for a reported structure fire with unknown entrapment — meaning that it was unclear whether or not anyone was still inside the burning building — at 435 Hosley Ave. at 9:11 p.m. Monday. Picerno said the department responded with two trucks, one engine, a tanker truck and 21 firefighters. By the time the department arrived on the scene, Picerno said, they saw that there was “no saving” the home.

“When we got there, the top (of the house) was gone already and the rest of the house was totally in flames,” Picerno said.

Picerno said the mobile home owner’s father was on the scene, and he told firefighters that no one had been living in the home.

Since the fire was so advanced when firefighters arrived on the scene, Picerno said the only thing firefighters could do was perform an initial assessment of the blaze and begin what he called a “surround and drown” method of firefighting. He said firefighters gathered around the inferno and “loaded it up” with 15,000 gallons of water.

TLVFD called the Piercefield Volunteer Fire Department and the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department for mutual aid. Picerno said the Piercefield department brought their tanker, along with six firefighters, to supply more water to the scene. After TLVFD arrived on the scene, Picerno said the department told the Saranac Lake department to stand by at the SLVFD station since the home was a total loss.

New York State Police and Tupper Lake EMS were also at the scene, according to Picerno, and the Tupper Lake electric department responded to cut off power to the home. He said Sunmount security staff provided traffic control. Picerno said TLVFD was back in service around midnight on Tuesday.

Picerno said it’s unclear what started the fire, and he guessed that it’d be hard to find out.

“My experience is, with the amount of damage — since it was down on the ground — it’s going to be undetermined what caused that fire,” he said.

The smell of smoke filled the entire village on Monday night, according to Picerno, who said he could smell the fumes when he was leaving his house on Sunset Avenue — about a mile and a half away from the scene — to respond to the call.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today