Here’s your handy primary day primer
Candidates and polling sites, times
Today is the Democratic national primary, when registered Democrats can choose their delegates to the party’s national convention and also vote for their preferred presidential candidates.
All the presidential candidates except Joe Biden have dropped out of the race, conceding the party nomination to him to run against Republican President Donald Trump on Nov. 3. But New York Democrats can still state their preferences from among 11 presidential candidates: Michael Bennet, Biden, Michael Bloomberg, Pete Buttigieg, Tulsi Gabbard, Amy Klobuchar, Deval Patrick, Bernie Sanders, Tom Steyer, Elizabeth Warren and Andrew Yang.
Each registered Democrat can also vote for up to six delegates representing New York’s 21st Congressional District. Five presidential candidates have six delegates each aligned with them on the ballot. That means voters have 30 to choose from:
• For Biden: June O,Neill, Ronald McDougall, Lynne Bocher, Michael Zagrobelny, Sara Idleman and Michael Cashman
• For Buttigieg: Sarah Miller, Dwight Setevenson, Sarah Tucci, Gregory Young, Michele Hill-Davis and Jeffrey Cox
• For Sanders: Toni Kennedy, Diana Klementowski, Kristi-Ann Lyga, Jay Bellanca, Joseph Henderson and Patrick Nelson
• For Warren: Jennifer Zhang, Donald Carlisto, Christine Mooney, Jackson Lasarso, Darlene Hayes and Scott Dolan
• For Yang: Kelli O’Sullivan, Mark Lienau, Stephanie Bodensieck, Kevin Laake, Donna Trim Calk and Orion Harrison.
Voting is from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. In Essex County, polling sites have been consolidated to just one per town. That means North Elba Democrat voters will have to vote in Saranac Lake, those in Keene will have to vote in Keene Valley, and those in Jay will have to vote in AuSable Forks.
Polls will be open at the following sites for each town in the Enterprise’s primary coverage area:
• Jay, town offices, 11 School Lane, AuSable Forks
• Keene, fire hall, 15 Market St., Keene Valley
• North Elba, Town House, 193 River St., Saranac Lake
• St. Armand, Town Hall, 1702 state Route 3, Bloomingdale
• Wilmington, Community Center, 7 Community Circle, Wilmington.
• Brighton, Town Hall, 12 County Route 31, Paul Smiths
• Franklin Town Hall, 7 Cold Brook Road, Vermontville
• Harrietstown, Town Hall, 39 Main St., Saranac Lake
• Santa Clara, Town Hall, 5359 state Route 30, Saranac Inn
• Tupper Lake, Ivy Terrace Community Room, 38 Boyer Ave., Tupper Lake.
• Long Lake, District 1, Town Hall, Long Lake; District 2, Raquette Lake school, Raquette Lake