Forest Rangers help injured hikers, boater

State Department of Environmental Conservation forest rangers rescued a number of injured people around the Adirondacks last week, as well as helping an unprepared hiker.

Town of Keene

Shortly after noon on Monday, Aug. 12, DEC dispatch received a call about a woman with a non-weight-bearing injury on Porter Mountain. The caller said his wife and two others ventured off trail, where the injury occurred. GPS coordinates put the group about a half-mile from where they started hiking in Keene Valley.

Eight rangers responded, and requested State Police Aviation for an air lift. The woman was hoisted to the helicopter at 3:40 p.m., and the 55-year-old Fairfax, Virginia, woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Town of Harrietstown

At 8:17 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17, Franklin County 911 transferred a call to DEC dispatch from a 64-year-old Tupper Lake woman who had fallen and lacerated her head while hiking Ampersand Mountain.

Rangers Pete Evans and Robert Zurek responded and located the woman, who had continued to descend, on the trail at 9:39 a.m. Evans and Zurek provided first-aid and escorted the woman to the trailhead, where she said she would seek medical treatment on her own.

Town of Peru

At about 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 18, Forest Ranger David Russell overheard radio traffic about a woman with a lower leg injury on Valcour Island, in Lake Champlain.

Once the call was confirmed, rangers Russell, Jared Booth and Glen Bronson responded via boat. The rangers, along with Clinton County sheriff’s deputies, the Keeseville fire department and Peru emergency medical services also responded. Responders used a low-angle rescue to get the woman to a boat, and then gave her a ride to shore, where she was taken to a local hospital.

Town of Fort Ann

On Sunday, Aug. 18 at 8:44 p.m., Washington County 911 transferred a call to DEC dispatch from a couple who were having trouble getting down Shelving Rock Mountain due to darkness. GPS coordinates put the couple near the top of the mountain, where they were advised against using the flashlight function on their phones to preserve the batteries.

Forest Ranger Evan Donegan responded and reached the pair about 20 minutes before midnight. He provided headlamps and walked them back to the trailhead.