Ventilator malfunction causes freon leak at Aldi

SARANAC LAKE — A malfunctioning ventilator caused a haze of Freon to spread through the Aldi grocery store at 587 Lake Flower Ave. here Wednesday night, according to a report from the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department.

A fire department spokesman, reading from the report, said the department was dispatched to the store at 7:07 p.m. over reports of the haze.

The store had already been evacuated by the time firefighters arrived, the spokesman said.

The leak was traced to a “leaking line in (a) roof ventilator system,” according to the report.

Firefighters cleared the haze from the store and the store will organize repairs for the malfunctioning unit.

Saranac Lake Fire was back in service at 8:39 p.m.

Aldi is open for business as usual Friday morning.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today