Fire damages clubhouse roof at Whiteface Lodge

Members of the Lake Placid and Saranac Lake volunteer fire departments direct traffic outside the Whiteface Lodge Inn on Saranac Avenue where a chimney fire occurred Tuesday morning. (Enterprise photo — Griffin Kelly)

LAKE PLACID — A fire at the Whiteface Lodge required three departments and 20 firefighters to extinguish it at 5:51 a.m. Tuesday.

Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jim Wasson said the fire occurred on the roof the clubhouse portion of the hotel. People were staying in a room and were using the fireplace.

“The brick chimney was surrounded by a wooden box,” Wasson said. “Some sparks got onto the wooden shingles outside the chimney and ignited. There was a lot of fire around the chimney and on the roof.”

The Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Keene fire departments responded to the call.

Wasson said no one was injured, but the roof and the attached room sustained fire, smoke and water damage.

Representatives at the Whiteface Lodge said they weren’t yet ready to comment on the incident as of Tuesday afternoon.

The Lake Placid fire department was back in service at 10:46 a.m.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today