Fire burns garage, home in Tupper over weekend

Firefighters in Tupper Lake battle flames at a home at 62 Murray St. Saturday. (Photo provided — Jim Lanthier)

TUPPER LAKE — A fiercely hot structure fire claimed a garage, damaged a home and melted the siding of a neighboring home in the junction Saturday.

Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department Chief Royce Cole lives several doors down from Jim and Star Farnsworth’s home at 62 Murray St. When Cole arrived to the scene at around 10:30 p.m., their garage was already fully engulfed in flames and the family had evacuated the house with two children and two dogs. Their two cats stayed in the house but found shelter under a bed and were unharmed.

The attic of the house had extensive fire and water damage, and the first floor experienced extensive water damage, according to Cole. Star said the family was able to salvage the kids’ clothes but lost most of their other possessions. Donations to the family can be delivered to 12 Emma St.

They were able to get a truck in the driveway away from the fire but lost a car, and a dirt bike and four-wheeler in the garage.

Cole said the fire started with an electrical problem and reached an extra high temperature because of gas and propane stored in the garage.

Firefighters spray water on a garage fire at 62 Murray St. in Tupper Lake Saturday. (Photo provided — Jim Lanthier)

Firefighters had three lines operating and assistance from the Paul Smiths-Gabriels Volunteer Fire Department.

“Our guys and girls did a great job,” Cole said. “Couldn’t be prouder of them for the job that they did to save the house as much as they could.”

“For us it felt like forever, but the response time was literally within five minutes of when the call went out,” Star said. “The fire department did a very excellent job. We know pretty much everybody on the fire department, so it was very personal.”

Tanya Lawrence, who has a daughter with Jim, has set up a GoFundMe page to help the Farnsworths get their house and lives back together. Donations can be given at www.gofundme.com/v97dx-fire.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today