Fire claims Saranac Lake home

SARANAC LAKE — Firefighters battled a blaze at 15 Canaras Ave. for nearly five hours Thursday night and this morning.

Though the firefighters were able to put out the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by a chimney fire, the house near the corner of Petrova Avenue was deemed unlivable. Starting in the basement, the fire damaged all three floors of the house, with smoke and water damage on the first floor and fire damage on the second.

Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department members arrived on the scene at 9:41 p.m. with five trucks and 16 members, and began to fight the fire in double-digit-negative temperatures alongside 17 members and two trucks from the Lake Placid fire department, and 11 members and one truck from the Bloomingdale fire department.

Members and a truck from the Paul Smiths-Gabriels fire department stood by at the Saranac Lake station while the fire was extinguished.

The owners of the house, Patricia and Timothy Stark, were not able to be reached by press time. It is unclear what their current living arrangements are.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today