Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS

SLPD police blotter, August 1936

August 11, 2012
By HOWARD RILEY ( , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

I am not kidding when I tell you so many readers ask, "When are you going to publish more old police blotter stories?" So, folks, here you are.


8-2-36 11 a.m. - Call from Susie Sheldon at 116 River Street saying that her maid, Josephine Hearn went out last night about 10 p.m. with a party and has not come home as yet. She is 17 years of age and was last seen with Clark Russell. Russell was not in his room at 165 Broadway at 11 a.m. this date. - E. Duprey

Article Photos

Ignatius Neubauer, left, and Dr. Henry Leetch, right, are pictured in the 1930s. Probably about the time that this kind and respected physician (Neubauer) asked the police to check on his wife and daughter while he was away.
(Photo courtesy of the Adirondack Room of the Saranac Lake Free Library)


8-5-36 8:15 p.m. - Call from Mrs. Haskins at 9 McComb Street. Investigated by Ryan and Brown. She had two empty rubbing alcohol bottles that she said contents of had been drunk by her son, Roland, thought it would make him sick. - Ryan


8-6-36 8:30 p.m. - State Troopers called stating that a suitcase full of women's clothing had been lost, fell off a Plymouth car. If anyone is seen trying to sell the suit case, notify troopers. -?Brown


8-7-36 12:30 a.m. -?Complaint from Chuck Humes at Chance's bar that he was going to put a man out of the place and wanted me to be around in case of trouble, said the man was drunk, using bad language and wouldn't pay his check. Chuck threw the man out and he wanted to go back in and fight. Got him away from there and tried to find out his name and where he was staying. He refused to tell me and wanted to fight with me. Brought him down and locked him up. - Tyler


8-8-36 10:20 p.m. -?Call from Mrs. Carpenter, Stevenson Lane, asking if the police had seen George LaDue. Ladue's mother is worried about him. Says he left home and believes he is drinking. If he was picked up and put in jail she would feel a lot better. Saw George just after the first show about 9:40 going down Berkeley Hill, not very drunk. - Brown


August 1942

8-9-42 5 a.m. - Complaint at Police Office from Mrs. Sarah Marshall that her daughter, Betty, of 24 River Street went out last night with Agnes Sharkey of the Hallock Block and Florence McPhail of 76 Margaret Street to the dance at Ryan's in Bloomingdale and not returned home. I investigated and found that the McPhail girl had not returned either. -?Jones


8-10-42 9:25 p.m. - Call from Ralph Stewart he had been notified blackout. - Higgins & Wallace

9:35 p.m. - Call from a lady on St. Bernard Street no air raid wardens around 3 different lights on - taken care of. - Wallace

9:40 p.m. -?Call that Gene Keough had left his lights on at Conley's - Notified District Police leader. - Higgins

9:45 p.m. - Call that there was a light on Lake Street. Notified Warden's upstairs.


8-11-42 11:45 p.m. - Received a call from Miss Connors that a small boy was in front of the Saranac Lake Garage and seemed to be lost. We brought him to the Police Station and questioned him. He said he was Lloyd Haig, 8 years old and lived at 22 Slater Avenue. Said that his father had brought him downtown and left him off on the street and gone to work and that he had not had any supper. We took him home and his mother who had gone to bed told us that the boy had got up at 6 a.m. and crawled out through the screen door and had run away. She had gone to bed and did not seem to worry about him. Said he had done it before and had always come back. - Higgins and Jones


8-11-42 12 Midnight - Call from Operator. Someone had told her that a window at D'Ambrisi's Barber Shop had been broken with a great noise. We found that plate glass had been broken all out next to the door in the front entrance. A little blood on some pieces of glass. More blood on the walk in front of the Dinette. While writing this, Arthur P. Byrnes, came into the Police Office and reported to me that one John Doe had come out of the Lunch Car and grabbed him by the throat and threw him through the window. He has a bad cut on his left leg and scratches on the head and hands.

He was taken at 3:45 a.m. to the General Hospital for treatment to the leg. Dr. Woodruff was called to remove glass from his leg and was to be kept in the hospital today for treatment. Mr. Byrnes has been called to active duty at Camp Upton, leaving here August 12. Staying at Alpine Annex, Room 1. - Jones & Higgins



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web