AuSable Valley schools locked down Wednesday amid nearby shooting

AuSABLE FORKS — With State Police on the way after Wednesday morning’s shooting in this Town of Black Brook hamlet, Clinton County Dispatch cautioned first responders to stay away from an incident yet to become clear.

“There’s gunfire involved in this accident,” Clinton County Dispatch warned.

Reports were a woman had stopped to assist a man who had crashed his vehicle and that he’d shot her in the head.

Her condition was unknown as dispatch called out AuSable Forks EMS at 9:11 a.m.

The suspect had left his SUV and was walking toward the hamlet center, carrying a .22 rifle, dispatch noted.

Meanwhile, AuSable Valley Central School Superintendent Paul Savage was alerted to the gunfire and set his district’s lockdown procedures in motion.

AuSable Valley Elementary School sits not even a mile and a half from where the shooting took place near 136 Silver Lake Road.

Savage also, as a precaution, ordered lockdown at the Middle/High School in Clintonville and Keeseville Elementary.

He notified parents of the situation via the “all-call” system.

And he drove to AuSable Forks Elementary.

Former Middle School Principal Phil Mero was filling in there on Wednesday.

“A seasoned pro,” Savage said.

And it was evident the many drills in the case of such an incident had made students, faculty and staff pros at enforcing lockdown.

“You couldn’t see a student; you couldn’t hear a student,” he said.

Meanwhile, at about 9:40 a.m., the shooting suspect was taken into custody at a “blue trailer” on Separator Road off Silver Lake Road, according to a radio broadcast over the scanner.

From the site of the shooting to the Separator Road intersection is about a quarter mile.

Killed on Wednesday was Magen Goyette, 30, of AuSable Forks. Witnesses identified the shooter as David Bova, saying he lives on Separator Road.

State Police issued a press release saying a suspect was in custody and there was no danger to the public.

Savage was glad to let the students resume their day and send another “all-call” to parents to fill them in.

The school superintendent wishes there was no need to be prepared for possible violence, but after Wednesday’s scare, he said, “I’m glad we have these procedures.”