Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS
 
 
 

Electrical problem sparks dryer fire

July 18, 2013
By CHRIS KNIGHT - Senior Staff Writer (cknight@adirondackdailyenterprise.com) , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

An electrical problem is being blamed for sparking a fire that damaged a clothes dryer Thursday at a home between Paul Smiths and Gabriels.

Paul Smiths-Gabriels firefighters were called to a report of a smoke condition around 12:45 p.m. at the Banker family's home at 442 state Route 86. Three trucks and 12 members responded.

First Assistant Fire Chief Dan Whitson said the homeowner heard smoke alarms going off, found the dryer was on fire and called 911. Responding volunteers were able to contain the damage to the dryer and the outlet it was plugged into, he said.

Article Photos

Firefighters from Paul Smiths-Gabriels and Saranac Lake, along with state troopers, investigate a fire Thursday at 442 state Route 86 in Gabriels.
(Enterprise photo — Mike Lynch)

"It didn't get into any walls. We got very lucky," Whitson said. "It started to go up onto the ceiling. When our first driver (Tom Tucker) got on scene, he knocked it down and came back out. When I got there, we went in a second attack and finished it off."

The Bloomingdale, Saranac Lake and Lake Placid fire departments also responded. Some firefighters and trucks were turned back while en route to the scene, Whitson said.

Paul Smiths-Gabriels firefighters returned to their fire station at 2:17 p.m.

Article Map

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web