Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS

Compost ignites home

June 24, 2013
By SHAUN KITTLE - Staff Writer ( , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted.

The compost pile was located next to a deck that was attached to the house.

"Once that organic material reaches a certain temperature, it ignites," said Franklin County Fire Investigator John Bashaw. "Something like that needs to be kept away from a house."

Article Photos

A fire destroyed this home at 15 East Rounds Ave., Tupper Lake, early Saturday morning. No one was injured. Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department members responded at 5:29 a.m., and the Piercefield Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid.
(Photo — Joe Cormier Jr., Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department)

No one was injured in the blaze.

Homeowner Travis LaBarge reported the fire, and the Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department arrived at the scene at 5:29 a.m.

They were assisted by the Piercefield Volunteer Fire Department.

Article Map

"The main fire was put out within the first hour, but the building had several different rooms, which made it difficult to get to," said Tupper Lake First Assistant Fire Chief Royce Cole. "We were there for about three hours."


Managing Editor Peter Crowley contributed to this report.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web