The Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department responded to a chimney fire at 58 Lake St. on Saturday with two trucks and approximately 20 members.
Fire Chief Carl Steffen said firefighters used a ladder truck to access the top of the house and used chains to knock down burning creosote inside the chimney. The fire was contained to the chimney and extinguished.
The Piercefield Volunteer Fire Department stood by at Tupper Lake's station during the call.
The Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department responded to a chimney fire at 54 Grace St. at 9:02 p.m. Saturday night with one truck and eight members.
Fire Chief Brendan Keough said fighters extinguished the fire in the fireplace and dropped chains down the chimney to remove built-up creosote, which was blamed for starting the blaze. Fire damage was contained to the chimney.
Firefighters returned to the fire station at 10 p.m.