TUPPER LAKE - Firefighters endured frigid temperatures throughout the night as they battled huge flames that demolished a Cedar Street home.
The call went out at about 11:30 p.m., and firefighters were still wrapping up their work at around 7 a.m. today, said fire Chief Mark Picerno.
Firefighters believe two residents were in the home when the fire began, and they evacuated it safely before help arrived. Picerno said he wasn't sure who reported the fire. The home, at 70 Cedar St., is owned by Glenn Flagg, according to tax records.
A Tupper Lake volunteer stands amidst the flames early Friday morning as a home and garage at 70 Cedar St. burns. No one was injured in the blaze.
(Photo — Jim Lanthier)
Tupper Lake volunteer firefighters battle the flames early Friday morning as a home and garage at 70 Cedar St. burns. No one was injured in the blaze.
(Photos— Jim Lanthier)
Picerno said the fire was likely electrical in origin and started in a garage, which was also a total loss. By the time the Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department responded, the garage was fully engulfed in flames and the back of the house was on fire, he said.
There was another house close by, but firefighters were able to keep the flames from hitting it.
Picerno, tired this morning after a long night of firefighting, had a hard time estimating how much water the department used to extinguished the fire, saying it was definitely a lot.
Temperatures around 3 degrees made for cold work.
"Everything turned to ice immediately when the water hit," Picerno said. "It was pretty slippery. We had a few people fall, but nobody got hurt."
Forty-five TLVFD firefighters turned out to help battle the blaze, and Long Lake and Piercefield fire departments were called in to help.
The Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department stood by at the Tupper Lake fire hall from 12:54 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. with one truck and eight members.
While they were there, they responded to another structure fire at 3 Boyer Ave. at 1:28 a.m. A doghouse was set on fire by ashes from a woodstove that were left too close to the doghouse, Picerno said. The six members who responded to that call took about 15 minutes and 300 gallons of water to extinguish it.