Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS

Police investigating suspect in Sunmount bomb threat (update)

September 18, 2012
By JESSICA COLLIER - Staff Writer ( , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

TUPPER LAKE - State police and other emergency squads responded to a bomb threat today at the Sunmount Developmental Disabilities Services Office campus that turned out to a fake.

"It was not a bomb," said state police Investigator Steve Ansari. "It was a false report."

Ansari said state police may have identified a suspect who they are investigating, and they're trying to determine if the man was a current resident of the home for people with developmental disabilities or a former resident.

Article Photos

Several state police vehicles were parked outside the main office at Sunmount Developmental Disabilities Services Office in Tupper Lake Tuesday afternoon as officers investigated a bomb threat.
(Enterprise photo — Jessica Collier)

"We have a couple of leads that we're following up on," Ansari said.

He said an arrest may be pending, and the appropriate charge would be falsely reporting an incident in the first degree, which is a class D felony.

A class D felony can mean up to seven years in prison if a person is convicted, but for first-time, nonviolent offenders, it usually means between no prison time to less than three years.

Ansari said there's no threat to the public. A bomb-sniffing dog from the state police barracks in Ray Brook was brought to Sunmount, checked the area where the caller claimed the bomb was and cleared it.

The man called Franklin County 911 dispatch to report the threat and talked to two dispatchers there, then 911 sent patrols to investigate, according to Ray Brook-based state police.

Police said three state police patrols from Tupper Lake and a sergeant from Tupper Lake and also responded to the incident. Tupper Lake's rescue squad and fire department were called to stand by at the nearby Counter's Garage.

A Sunmount security vehicle was parked at the main entrance of the facility, and a security officer was letting cars exit at about 1 p.m.

The bomb-sniffing dog arrived a little before 1 p.m., and all emergency squads were sent back to their stations by about 1:30 p.m.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web