TUPPER LAKE - The village board voted Monday to deem a house at 23 1/2 Lake St. unsafe and dangerous.
The ruling means that once the declaration is filed with Franklin County, the owners will have 30 days to fix the property or the village can demolish the house after a ruling from county court Judge Robert Main Jr.
The severely cluttered house burned in a May 2010 fire. It was never cleaned up due to a dispute over insurance money between current owners Rodney and Linda Bashant and former owner and tenant Reta Woods.
Debris floats around a home May 1 on Lake Street in Tupper?Lake as seen from a helicopter. The home was destroyed by fire last year.
(Photo courtesy of the Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department)
Village Trustee Marty Hughes said that during the recent flooding, the village got calls from neighbors saying items from the house, which were spilling out onto the lawn, were beginning to float into their yards.
"It needs to be taken care of," Hughes said. "It's absolutely ridiculous."