Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Customer Service | Tearsheets | Media Kit | Home RSS

DEC Ranger Report for August

September 4, 2009
Adirondack Daily Enterprise

RAY BROOK - Below are summaries of activities by the state Department of Environmental Conservation's Region 5 forest rangers in late August.


Paddlers late on Lake Placid

LAKE PLACID - At about 6:28 p.m. on Aug, 21, DEC Dispatch received a call from the Canoe Club in Lake Placid, reporting that John Alexander, 52, a 17-year-old male and a 14-year-old male, all from Londontown, England, were nearly 30 minutes late in returning from a day paddling trip on Lake Placid. Shortly after the call, a forest ranger and an environmental conservation officer responded and began searching for the missing group in separate boats. At 7:48 p.m., the canoe and its three occupants were located by the ECO about one mile north of the state boat launch, on the east side of the lake. All three individuals were in good shape and were transported back to the Canoe Club.


Fisherman walks back to camp

LAKE PLEASANT - At about 10:49 p.m., on Aug. 22, the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department contacted a forest ranger requesting assistance with locating an overdue fisherman on Lake Pleasant in Hamilton County. Jeffery Fikes, 28, of Schenectady, had left his camp around 7:45 p.m. to go fishing in a small johnboat. At approximately 1 a.m. it was reported that Fikes had returned on his own. Fikes had tried to paddle back to the camp, but once it got dark, he beached the boat and walked back to his camp.


Hiker missing overnight

LONG LAKE - At about 10:02 p.m. on Aug. 22, DEC Dispatch received a call from the Lake Eaton Campground reporting a hiker that was missing. Janet Freeman, 66, of Long Lake, had become lost on the Owls Head Mountain trail while trying to locate her dogs that she had ran off earlier in the day. Forest rangers responded and spent the night searching the trail system around the Owls Head Mountain area, but were unable to locate Freeman. The following morning, six additional rangers assisted in searching the trails. At approximately 8 a.m., a forest ranger located Freeman along a snowmobile trail. She was wet but in good condition. She reportedly had found her dogs, but after she tried to take a shortcut back to Lake Eaton after dark, she lost the trail. Since heavy rains during the night made travel difficult, she stayed put until daylight. Then she located the snowmobile trail, where she was eventually found.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web