SARANAC LAKE - Carly Simpson-Hamelin and her husband Ben Hamelin's baby boy was supposed to be born Sunday; that was when her labor was scheduled to be induced.
But then the hospital's chimney collapsed.
That 40-foot chimney vents the boilers at Adirondack Medical Center, and when a section of it blew apart Sunday morning -emitting a boom that was mistaken for an explosion until the next day - AMC's hospital wing, including the maternity ward, lost heat, hot water and steam for sterilization.
Carly Simpson-Hamelin and her husband Ben Hamelin admire new son Maddox Michael Hamelin.
(Photo provided by Adirondack Medical Center)
That meant upcoming procedures were cancelled and all 35 inpatients at the time were evacuated to other hospitals throughout the region. The Hamelins' obstetrician, Dr. Denise Ferrando, called them and left a voice message saying that the birth would have to be postponed.
But chimney repairs were swift, and the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. On Tuesday, things returned to normal at the hospital, and the couple was invited to come in that day for the birth.
They happened to be test-driving a new car in Plattsburgh when they got the call.
"If we couldn't have the baby, we were going to at least get a new car," Carly quipped, as quoted in an AMC press release.
But they could have the baby, and they immediately drove the car to the hospital to do so.
At 6:13 p.m., Maddox Michael Hamelin was delivered into the outside world by Cesarean section. He weighed eight pounds, 13 ounces and was 23-and-a-half inches long.
"Everything went well, and here we are," Carly said as she cradled a sleeping Maddox, according to the AMC report.
Ben was still reveling in the moment of being a first-time dad.
"He's not even 24 hours old," he told AMC officials as he watched Carly and Maddox.
The family lives in Ray Brook.