Rangers rescue a half-dozen hikers

State Department of Environmental Conservation forest rangers were involved in search-and-rescue missions around the Adirondacks last week, including helping a disoriented man and people on several different High Peaks.

Town of Keene

Just before 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 6, forest rangers received a request for help for two 21-year-old Canadian men who had become separated from their group while hiking Giant Mountain.

Ranger Mark St. Claire arrived on scene and proceeded up the trail from the Chapel Pond area. At 12:30 a.m. on the 7th, St. Claire requested an additional ranger, and Robbi Mecus responded and hiked up the Roaring Brook Falls trail. At 1:39 a.m., Mecus made voice contact with the two men, who were 50 yards off the trail. The men were escorted out and reunited with their party at 2:12 a.m.

Town of Long Lake

A SUNY Cortland trip leader notified the DEC of a man who appeared disoriented and distressed on Thursday, June 7. After speaking with the caller, rangers determined they should intercept the 63-year-old Massachusetts man on his way to Plumley Point.

Rangers Jim Waters and Robert Zurek responded and located the man at Shattuck Clearing. After providing food and water, the rangers escorted the man out of the Huntington Forest, where they were met by ranger Lt. Brian Dubay. The man was transported to a hotel in Ticonderoga, where he declined further medical assistance.

Town of Fort Ann

On Thursday, June 7, Washington County 911 notified DEC dispatch of an injured 69-year-old female from Cleverdale who had an unstable leg injury on Sleeping Beauty Mountain.

Forest rangers Anthony Goetke and Jaime Laczko, along with West Fort Ann fire department and emergency medical services, responded and assessed and stabilized the injury. The woman was then carried out to an ambulance for transport to the Glens Falls Hospital.

Town of North Elba

At about 7 p.m. on Friday, June 8, DEC dispatch received a call about a 61-year-old female from Cape May, New Jersey, who fell while hiking Algonquin Peak. The caller reported injuries to two of her extremities.

Ranger Jim Giglinto hiked to the woman’s location, reaching her at about 9 p.m. After an assessment, Giglinto requested additional rangers for a carry out. The woman’s injuries were stabilized, and she was transported to a UTV for transport to the trailhead, where a waiting Lake Placid ambulance took her to Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake early on June 9.

Town of Wilmington

At 2:41 p.m. on Saturday, June 9, Essex County 911 notified DEC dispatch of a 50-year-old woman who had fallen while walking her dogs on the Whiteface Mountain trail. The woman had reportedly hit the back of her head and briefly lost consciousness.

Two rangers responded and located the woman about 200 yards up the trail. After evaluating her, the rangers assisted her to the trailhead, where she was evaluated by Wilmington emergency medical services, but she declined further medical attention.